October 26, 2012

Photo of the Week: Sept. 16, 2012



HOW I GOT THE SHOT: A photograph of a shofar carries with it a lifetime of our personal experience of the Rosh Hashanah holiday. I tried lining up this shot to allow the colorful quilts to fill the entire background, but the arrangement of the shofars was not as appealing from that angle. I could have rotated the basket, but I didn’t want to handle something I had no intention of purchasing. I pushed the ISO to 800 so I could take the shot handheld and retain sharpness throughout. This image gains its strength from the unusual context in which the shofars are found. The word “shofar” conjures up either the sound they make or an image of a person holding one in his mouth, blowing. Here they are seen en masse, out of place, neglected, crowded into a less than holy, torn plastic basket.
May the sound of the shofar lift you to holiness and pave the path to a year filled with blessings. G’mar Chatima Tova. Wishing you a sweet and joyous new year!
TECHNICAL DATA: Camera: Nikon D200, handheld, manual exposure, center-weighted metering mode, f5 at 1/80th sec., ISO 800. Raw file converted to Jpeg. Lens: Nikon 18-200mm VR zoom at 35mm. Date: Sept. 11, 2008, 9:37 a.m. Location: The souk, Old City of Jerusalem.

No comments: