August 04, 2013

Photo of the Week: July 24, 2013




HOW I GOT THE SHOT: Every now and then I get a little bit whimsical. It’s important to lighten up because my work would be insufferable plodding along on the same serious emotional tenor. And letting loose has the added benefit of opening new passageways for creativity to emerge by tilting my vision ever so slightly that I begin to see anew.

So as the sweat beads rolled down my cheeks on an uncomfortably warm summer afternoon near Kibbutz Gezer, I traipsed through a sunflower field hoping to find something less serious, less typical and heretofore unseen. Sunflowers are heliotropic – they turn toward the sun, making them nearly impossible to photograph from the front with the golden illumination of back lighting I so prefer. Deep in the field of head-high plants, I found this young specimen, still a day or two from flowering. At the time I photographed, it still had its back to the sun, which plays its role perfectly, casting that cherished glow on the leaflets around the flower head as well as on some of the mature yellow petals seen in the background. We know well what a mature, yellow sunflower looks like. But here’s something new, planted with a bit of whimsy on a hot summer day.

Feel free to
share this email with all the photography buffs in your life.

TECHNICAL DATA: Camera: Nikon D700, tripod mounted, manual exposure, center-weighted metering mode, f6.3 at 1/250th sec., ISO 200. Raw file converted to Jpeg. Lens: Nikon 28-105 zoom at 78mm. Date: June 2, 2011, 4:37 p.m. Location: Opposite Kfar Bin Nun, Central Israel.

No comments: